Nowa Huta gets renovations for its 70th birthday
This year marks the 70th anniversary of Nowa Huta, Krakow’s unique eastern district. Work began in 1949, early days of the communist People’s Republic of Poland, on constructing a carefully planned socialist realist community around the steel mill thoere, and today Nowa Huta remains an architecturally regional novel time capsule.
It is still developing also, though, and the city of Krakow’s plans for the Nowa Huta of 2019 include:
- Revitalization of eight green areas
- Renovation of several major roads, such as Klasztorna, Kocmyrzowska, and Kocmyrzowska
- The completion of a fire station
- Cultivation of two hectares of forest
- Implementation of the 2018 Citizen’s Budget, in which, among other projects, local residents voted to improve the facilities around the Nowa Huta reservoir