Krakow Local News: Tuesday, 23 February 2016


Ruczaj vandalism

This morning commuters traveling from the “Ruczaj” bus and tram stop were greeted with up to 50 thousand PLN in damages: a broken announcement board and a broken ticket machine. The city will fix the machines in a few days, but those traveling from the stop will not be able to buy a ticket until then. [Love Krakow]

New swine flu case

A new case of the AH1N1 virus, also known as “Swine flu”, has been admitted to the University Hospital in Krakow. The patient is a one-year-old boy who joins four others in the hospital under quarantine. The hospital says there is no reason for panic, as most of these patients end up being diagnosed during treatment for what they suspect to be just an average case of the flu. [Radio Krakow]

Negligence case starts

Today a hearing on one of the largest hospital negligence cases in Poland took place. Katarzyna Nowak’s son died five years ago after a visit to the dentist gave him blood poisoning. At the time, Paweł Cerek had visited the dentist but had the wrong tooth removed. He went back multiple times to correct the mistake, including a visit to the emergency room at Krakow’s Narutowicz hospital. His mother is fighting for 8 million PLN in damages. Not all hospitals in Poland were insured for negligence cases at the time; in 2011 a law was passed requiring hospitals to be insured, though with a deadline in 2014. [Gazeta Krakowska]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *